June 23 – Assata’s Daughters Garden Build
- WHAT: Our garden programs aims to provide fresh and free produce to our neighbors, and to help build sustainable community. Our youth farm on King Drive has been set back by the intensifying gentrification processes happening in Washington Park, but we plan to fight back. We need volunteers to help expand our second garden site on Calumet. Come learn how to build a raised bed and support our work! If you have tools, please let us know what you can bring! We need wheelbarrows, buckets, shovels and drills.
- WHEN: Saturday, June 23 at 12 PM – 6 PM
- WHERE: 57th & Calumet
- WHAT: Chicago’s Gang Database is an “Expansive and Focused” system of criminalization and discrimination, used to target black and brown communities in the city. Join us for a city-wide teach in for the release of a new report on Chicago’s Gang Database co-authored by the the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Research group on Policing in Chicago and community organizations.
- WHEN: Tuesday, June 26 at 6 PM – 8:30 PM
- WHERE: Arturo Velazquez Institute, 2800 S. Western Ave., Chicago, Illinois 60608
- REGISTRATION: bit.ly/chiteachin
June 29 – Court Support: Lawsuit to End Money Bond
- WHAT: The Coalition to End Money Bond is calling all supporters to join us for an important court date in the lawsuit challenging the use of money bond in Cook County. On Friday, June 29th, the judge hearing the case may decide whether or not to dismiss the case or allow it to proceed. We urge you to join us in demanding permanent, statewide bail reform that eliminates the use of money bond and significantly reduces the number of people incarcerated pretrial! #EndMoneyBail
- WHEN: Friday, June 29 at 10:30 AM – 12 PM
- WHERE: Richard J. Daley Center, 50 W Washington, Room 2508, Chicago, IL
July 7 – Brave Space Alliance BBQ in the PARK
- WHAT: Brave Space Alliance would like to invite the community out to BBQ IN THE PARK for a day of fun, food and games. a time to fellowship with community and embrace one another. BSA is a vehicle to empower and elevate queer and trans voices, particularly those belonging to queer and trans people of color, to allow our communities a seat at the table on key decision making processes that impact the LGBTQ community of Chicago at large.
- WHEN: Saturday, July 7 at 4 PM – 7 PM
- WHERE: Promontory Point
- Please see this important call to action from Mijente: Community, Allies..all our GENTE. This moment, this administration, this crisis at the border beckons the question: What side are you on? Mijente is issuing a call for direct action to #ShutDownSessions #AbolishICE #FreeOurFuture Will you answer? bit.ly/actionready
Support Bond Reform in Cook County
- Hundreds of thousands of people have been incarcerated at Cook County Jail simply because judges set monetary bonds that they could not pay. In September 2017, following years of organizing by community members and a lawsuit challenging this unconstitutional practice, Chief Judge Timothy Evans issued General Order 18.8A which states that no one should be incarcerated at Cook County Jail solely because they cannot afford to pay their bond.
- More than eight months after General Order 18.8A went into effect, approximately 2,500 people remain jailed in Cook County because they cannot afford to pay their money bonds.
- Sign this petition to help #EndMoneyBail: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/support-bond-reform-in-cook-county
- #NoCopAcademy is fundraising to send 30+ youth to the Highlander Center for training this summer. Can you spare some dollars to help us raise the $36,000 needed to make this happen? https://fundrazr.com/nocopacademy
- We’re looking for 20 volunteers to commit to fundraising for #NoCopAcademy, whether by hosting a dinner party, a benefit show, or asking your friends/family. Plus we have a hot-off-the-press fundraising toolkit to share with anyone who signs up, and can offer training & support. Sign-up here to fundraise for #NoCopAcademy this month: https://goo.gl/forms/SsuBup1gQQVtiZH83
- Assata’s Daughters, People’s Response Team, For the People’s Artist Collective, BTGNC Collective, and many community groups are in the fight against Rahm’s plan to build a $95 Million police academy in West Garfield Park. Find out more and follow #NoCopAcademy to learn about the campaign.
- WHAT WE NEED TO DO NOW:
- CALL your alderperson and say you/we are watching this closely and we believe in #NoCopAcademy.Tell them this will definitely impact how you vote at elections.
- You can also send your alderperson a message using this form.
- Post on social media after you take action and/or get three friends to call their alderperson, too. It takes collective power, y’all!
Fight the Chicago Gang Database
- The Chicago Police Department uses, maintains, publishes, and shares a list of names designated as potential gang members. Individuals who are labeled gang members by CPD officers are not provided any due process protections, including notice or an opportunity to contest the gang designation. And once an individual is included in the Gang Database, he is in the database forever.
- CPD shares its Gang Database with numerous third party causing significant known and unknown harm to class members, including deprivations of employment, licensures, bond, immigration relief, deportation and detention, and more.
- Support Community Solutions Against the Chicago Gang Database by signing the petition here: https://action.mijente.net/petitions/eliminate-the-chicago-gang-database
Fundraise for BYP100
- BYP100 is celebrating 5 years of building a community of young Black activists who drive transformative change in historically marginalized communities across the nation. To honor our founding, celebrate our victories, and plan for our future, we are hosting our third BYP100 National Convening in Chicago July 12-15, 2018.
- The National Convening provides opportunity for our members, staff, and supporters to engage in deep relationship building, skills training, healing and strategic planning. Donate here: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/surj18